MBBS IN USA
MBBS in USA is a dream of many students. Career Voyage, a leading Study MBBS Abroad consultant has partnered with various top ranked universities in USA/ Caribbean offering medical studies to foreign students.
Caribbean medical schools are good and affordable options for Indian students. Medical schools having ECFMG and ACGME recognition are offering clinical rotations in USA for best medical practice and knowledge in the world. Caribbean medical schools have 89% usmle 3 success ratio.
USA is amongst the countries eligible for exemption from MCI screening to practice in India.
Career Voyage has partnered with following Universities for MBBS in USA
KEY REASONS TO STUDY MEDICINE IN CENTRAL AMERICA / THE CARIBBEAN:
- Central American / Caribbean medical schools strictly follow the US Education system and curriculum and hence are focused towards preparing Physician workforce for countries like USA, Canada, etc
- Colleges have tie ups in India offering first 6 month of foundation program in Indian Medical Colleges. It will help students to be friend with other class mates and understand the course structure in India.
- In most Universities, students write the NBME – National Board of Medical Examiners’ examination, USA’s board examinations on completion of Basic Medical Sciences and Clinical Sciences. (In other countries, the exams are all internal or conducted by the local governments’ examination authority)
- NBME is the body that conducts the board examinations for Medical students studying in the US Universities.
- NBME is the body that conducts the USMLE examinations as well. Hence, most of these Medical universities follow 100% the same curriculum followed in USA / Canada.
- Particularly, Pathology, Internal, Family and community Medicine modules are the same as in USA (In other countries its different)
- High standards of living; Safe, secure and peaceful environment.
- Shorter course durations: 4 – 5.5 Years for Indian High School passed outs
- MCAT Scores not required
- Premedical qualification is not mandatory in few universities for Indian students with strong academic background
- IELTS / TOEFL scores are not mandatory in most universities
- Dedicated USMLE training / preparations during the course of study
- Chance to do 2 Years of Clinical rotations program in teaching hospitals in USA / UK(In other countries, it can be maximum of 12weeks CLERKSHIP)
- Chance to do Clinical rotations in Government hospitals in the Caribbean region as well.
- 100% free recognized post graduate training in USA / other developed countries on successful completion of USMLE or other respective licensing examinations with good score
- Stipend paid during Post Graduate Education
- Climatic conditions similar to India (temperatures ranging from 20⁰C to 32⁰C); good medical facilities also are available in the region that is a booming Medical tourism destination too.
- 1000s of Indians are settled in the region hence offering comfort and tranquility for the students. By some estimates, over 2.5 million people in the Caribbean are of Indian origin.
- Few universities here are run by Indian managements with good number of Indian students.
- Practical and Perfectly planned education curriculum and pattern that results in high success rates in licensing examinations(Like USMLE, MCI, PLAB, AMC etc)
- Up to 5-10 times lesser cost than studying Study MBBS Abroad, or other major countries
- Three intakes a year: January, April and September
- High Visa success rate and lower documentation requirements
- Shortage of Doctors in USA, enhances chances of Residency in USA
In general terms, these universities are similar to IIT and other entrance exam Olympiad schools operating in few parts of India. Apart from imparting medical education, the universities focus completely on the licensing examination[USMLE (USA), MCCQE (Canada), PLAB (UK), AMC (Aus / NZ), etc.] and prepare the aspiring students to be successful in the same.
Hence the programs are career oriented, yet cost effective / value for money.
The Medical Universities we suggest are all recognized and approved by global bodies like
- MCI – Medical Council of India
- Governments of the countries they are located in
- ECFMG – Education Council for Foreign Medical Graduates, USA
- FAIMER’s IMED – Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research’s International Medical Education Directory
- ACGME – Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education – Teaching hospitals in USA
- MCC – Medical Council of Canada
- WHO – World Health Organization’s Avicenna Directories
MBBS in USA are structured such that once the students clear Step 1 of USMLE after finishing Basic Medical Sciences in Yr 2 (in some cases Yr 3) they could continue their 3rd and 4th year – Clinical studies (in few cases 4th and 5th years) in affiliated MBBS in USA (Optional). Students can do the clinical rotation in UK even without clearing PLAB/USMLE.
After finishing USMLE Step 1&2 with a decent score (Either in USA / UK or Central America), Students get a Temporary / Provisional License to pursue the Residency program in USA / Canada.
“Residency” is an option for students to pursue Post Graduate training / Specialization in a teaching hospital in USA / Canada / UK, etc, on work based study mode. The PG program is 100% free of tuition fee. A very good stipend is paid during the progra
m. Minimum Stipend ranges from US $ 3,500 and may be up to US $ 12,000 / Month. Students generally earn back what they have spent on their UG education within a span of 1 – 1.5 years. They also have very good chances of settling down in the countries from which the finish Residency.
Further, Students who complete Residency program in USA / Canada / UK / Australia / New Zealand have additional benefits back in India too. They NEED NOT WRITE MCI SCREENING TEST IF THEY ARE COMING BACK TO INDIA TO CONTINUE THEIR PRACTICE.
- Consult Career Voyage. Know about the eligibility criteria and requirements, entrance examinations, universities, costs, visa success rates, future career prospects, etc
- Apply for the university of your choice with academic documents, statement of purpose, reference letter, etc
- On successful admission and payment of a part of tuition fee, prepare the Visa documents and apply for Visa and make travel arrangements
- On Visa approval, fly to Central America / Caribbean. Enroll with the University.
- Study Pre Medical course (1 – 1.5 Yr if required).
- Study Basic Medical Sciences – 5 Terms (2 Years).
- Write NBME Board Exams and USMLE Step 1 (USMLE is optional)
- Study Clinical Sciences in USA / Canada / UK (PLAB/USMLE not required) / the Caribbean teaching hospitals (2 Years, actually 72 weeks)
- Write USMLE Step 2 CK and CS (Optional)
- Write NMBE Clinical board exams
- Graduate – Earn a Doctor of Medicine – MD degree equivalent to MBBS in India
- Apply for Residency program in USA through NRMP after successful USMLE Step 1, Step 2 – CK and CS scores
- Pursue Residency in USA / Canada / other countries. Study PG free of Cost, earn stipend of USD 3,500 – 8,000 /month. Earn Specialization / super specialty in desired field of medicine. Clear USMLE Step 3 and BECOME A FULLY LICENCED PHYSICIAN IN USA / Canada / other countries! FMGE (MCI Screening) not required after UG/PG/Licensing in USA, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand!
Expenses involved in studying medicine in the Caribbean may vary from university to university. On an average, the cost may vary from INR 30-60 Lakhs overall, inclusive of food accommodation, academic and miscellaneous expenses, travel, etc. In very few universities the cost may go too high.
However, the cost involved in pursuing a similar Study MBBS Abroad, is very high. The students, on clearing USMLE / other licensing examinations get an entry into the residency program, which is lucrative enough for the student to retrieve the cost completely in Maximum 1 – 2 Years.
Scholarships are available to aspiring students based on academic performance and merit, passion towards studying medicine, need, etc. Career Voyage team would support all eligible students in the process of applying for scholarships.
Medical universities in the Caribbean have 3 intakes every year – January, May and September.
Students should apply at least 2 months prior to the course start date for successful admissions. The documents required for application are:
- 10th std mark sheets and pass certificate
- 12th std mark sheets and pass certificate
- UG Mark Sheets and Certificate (If any)
- Copy of passport
- Statement of purpose
- Reference letters
The documents required may vary time to time. Kindly contact Career Voyage for updated information and assistance on your application and subsequent process.
Practice Medicine in Caribbean/South America/USA
We have a range of CAAM-HP recognised universities. CAAM-HP recognition enables you to start practising in the Caribbean/South America as a general physician immediately after completion of your MBBS. Minimum salary of doctor in this region is $2000-$2500/month.
Caribbean or Central American countries normally provide easy visa access to students planning to study medicine.
Most countries initially offer 1 Year visa for the students, which can be renewed on arrival / yearly basis.
The following documents are required for the Visa application and renewal:
- Academic documents (10th, 12th, etc)
- Medical Certificate
- Admission and acceptance letters, etc
HOW TO DO MBBS IN USA
In order to get the direct admission in MBBS in USA, the student should have studied the Pre-Medical course leading to Bachelor of Science (B.S.) program before attempting to study further in medical colleges in USA. The medical education system is well defined by USMLE (Unites States Medical Licensing Examination) ).
The standard route to MBBS in USA
Every year, huge number of students from USA and international arena give MCAT (Medical College Admission Test), an entrance exam for MBBS in USA to get the admission to top medical colleges in USA. There are more than 350+ medical universities in USA. The exam is monitored and scores are released by AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges).
PROGRAM FORMAT FOR INDIAN STUDENTS 2019.
Since the Indian students opting to study MBBS in USA do not appear for MCAT (since they have not completed their B.S. degree in India), they need to do their first 3 years including Pre-Medical and Basic Science program at St Lucia Islands at medical universities (Listed by USMLE). From there onward, they move to the mainland of USA for 6 years up to the MD / MS in USA to conduct the Clinical Rotation at the top hospitals affiliated with the University as well as PG level residency.
A student is prepared for MCQ based USMLE Step 1 during this 3 years program and the board conducts exam for them at the end of their first 3 years. This is the main competitive exam for the students. Generally, Indian students are able to crack this due to their educational skills gathered in India. During this 3 year programs, there are special MBBS scholarship in USA.
GREEN BOOK ROTATION AT ACGME TEACHING HOSPITALS.
The next 2 years to complete the MBBS course in USA are Clinical Rotation within the mainland of USA such as Chicago in a hospital covered as per Greenbook Rotation of USMLE authorities. Again, you have an option to do first year Core rotation of 48 weeks) at Jamaica / St Lucia / India and the last year (Elective rotation consisting of 28 weeks + 4 weeks of mandatory rotation in Neuro department). At the end of the Clinical Rotation, the students need to give USMLE Step 2 CK(Clinical Knowledge – written exam) and USMLE Step 2 CS (Clinical Skills – Oral) and they proceed to the Residency at an ACGME approved hospital. At this stage, you must understand the difference between Observership vs. Clinical Rotation.
EARNING BACK IN PG WHAT YOU SPENT AT MBBS LEVEL.
During Residency (PG Level) You start earning around US$ 3,500 to US$ 5,500 depending on the hospital as the stipend for the next 4 years which takes care of all your living cost + gives back the money that you spent during the Bachelor program. This is the best part of doing Medical program in USA. The total duration of MBBS in USA is thus around 9 years up to PG level, just like in India to take 8.5 years.
Many students feel that the cost of studying MBBS in USA is very high. However, the reality is your overall medical college fees in USA is ZERO up to PG. The initial cost of bachelors is higher compared to the other countries such as China, Russia, Ukraine etc. Since the cost to study in Indian private colleges is very high, it makes more sense to do MBBS and PG in USA for Indian students.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT UNIVERSITY PROGRAM.
Indian students have many options to go through this route to enter USA after 3.5 years at Caribbean Islands to several MBBS USA universities. However, proper selection based on accreditation, approvals and hospital affiliations of the university within USA is must else huge amount is at stake. It is not only about MBBS fees in USA. The students must be careful in the selection of the university leading to MD / MBBS in USA. The issue of Observership Vs. Clinical rotation is the most important one while deciding the University.